Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Sisters In Jesus

I am very grateful for my sisters in Jesus. One calls me "Sis" and lives in The Village; One calls me "little sis" and lives in Fox River Grove; Another secretly calls me "Sister" and lives in Naperville; Then there is one named Smokey who lives in Streamwood. Each of these women have been walking with Christ for many years and live out their walks in their daily lives.

No matter how often we talk or the miles between us I know I can count on them when I need an ear to listen to what's floating in my head or struggling between my ears. Sometimes it's a long time between conversations but the love, hugs and prayers we share for one another remain strong. Sometimes we get impatient because of schedules but again the love, hugs and prayers go out for one another. Sometimes distance can seem so far away but an email or a three hour conversation easily reconnects the hearts of sisters who love each other, challenge each other, encourage one another, cheer one another and pray for each other to the God who hears all and sees all in the lives of those we love and cherish.

It's hard when our sister is going through a rough time. That's when we get callouses on our knees from praying for them. When there are tears and their hearts are aching, as best we can, we wrap our arms around them and let them know they are not alone - everything will work out. Best of all, God has placed us there to walk with them and we won't leave them no matter how bad it gets. I remember a time when my Naperville sister sat in a chair brokenhearted before me in tears. I asked if I could give her a hug. Unable to speak she nodded yes. I slowly crawled over to her and wrapped my arms around her, holding her firmly as she rested her head on my shoulder and cried. I continued holding her as I rocked her and rubbed her back telling her everything was going to work out. This lasted for several minutes. When she was able to speak she looked at me and said through tears, "I had no idea how gentle you are." I smiled and said, "It's one of my best kept secrets." She smiled. It was a special moment.

Which one of your sisters needs to know you love them today? Don't let the day end without telling them...then tell them why.