Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Pray for the Person

Yikes.....

Dear Heavenly Father,

As you bring Stephanie, her therapist and her posse to mind, please help me to pray for them as your Holy Spirit leads me. I still hold a lot of anger and hurt against all of them. I can easily be lead down the road of resentment. Ah, the resentment prayer from AA. Let's start there, just for today:

Page 67, Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous: "We asked God to help us show them the same tolerance, pity and patience that we would cheerfully grant a sick friend. When a person offended we said to ourselves, "This is a sick woman. How can I be helpful to her? God save me from being angry. Thy will be done."

We avoid retaliation or argument. We wouldn't treat sick people that way. If we do, we destroy our chance of being helpful. We cannot be helpful to all people, but at least God will show us how to take a kindly and tolerant view of each and every one."

TouchPoint Bible definition of Resentment: "Part envy, part spite, part bitterness, resentment is a slow-burning anger that consumes the soul. The experience of pain due to real or perceived injustices is common to all of us but resentment is clinging to and feeding those hurts until they dominate our life. The Bible indicates that the cure for resentment is the confession of bitterness and a willingness, with God's help, to forgive the offender."

1 John 1:9 "But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us and to cease us from every wrong."

Prayer often begins with a confession of sin.

Thank you Lord, for hearing my heart when words fail me. I know what I need to do. Please provide an accountability partner so I may repeat the words of the leper, "Thank you Jesus for making me clean."

Love Amy